Since 1847, Rossi d'Angera have been distilling marcs - namely, what is left after the grapes have been pressed for wine-making and it can only be called Grappa when it is Italian.
The art of separating the heads from the tails ensures that the "heart" is extracted.
In Angera on Lake Maggiore, Bernardo Rossi founded his distillery in strict keeping with three basic tenets: to distil marcs that were fresh, full of moisture and from a single vine; to use a discontinuous steam still; to age in small barrels made from various differently toasted woods.
In 1931, at the height of the Art Nouveau period, King Vittorio Emanuele III awarded the Rossi d'Angera Distillery the Royal House of Savoy Letter Patent, which placed all the grappas in a class of their own.
At the start of the new millenium.
Rossi d'Angera began the job of re-styling all product ranges with the collaboration of a renowned designer.